Old 17-12-2005, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

Default Who We Are revisited

Thanks for the nice welcome

Dave said...

Welcome, Tony. Do you grow any of the WA terrestrials?

I do indeed. They are so easy to grow here as all we have to do is
leave the pots outside all year. They have the same conditions that
they have in the bush.

Several members of our
society went over for the conference recently past. Were you there?

Was I what!!

Mavis and I were on the organising Committee. We had a ball. And
managed to get the best Species and the Best Dendrobium too. You can
see all the results here

http://www.orchidswa.org.au/Conference%20Photos.htm

Two years of planning and it all came together just nicely. So long as
you ignore a few blips. But there are always a few blips. We plan to do
it all again in three years time and have learned heaps from our first
effort.

Given your
interests, it's a shame the WA climate precludes native epiphytes.
That must
also be a bit of a trial for growing the hardcane Dens you have!

No. actually Aust Natives are very forgiving and so long as they get
their fair share of water, they will do very well.same applies to the
Hardcanes.

Reka said

Ohmigod! A whole page of Thelymitras...

No. Far more than a whole page. I haven't counted the pages recently
but I think it is in the order of around 250 pages of Thelymitras.

I have died and gone to heaven!

No. Heaven is in WA ;-)

Beautiful pictures.

Thank you. I only wish I had taken them. But Ron Heberle will be
smiling in his grave at your comments.

John Varigos said

Hi Tony
Welcome to the group.
I was fortunate to visit with Graham and Margaret Bowden earlier this
year

I was sorry to have missed you.

and Graham showed me the original photos taken by Ron. The colours
are
quite spectacular.

Ron was a self taught photographer. Indeed he was a self taught
everything, and his pix are indeed great. You can see why I wanted to
put them on the web.

We also went to the salvage site at the end of the freeway

I did a bit on this for the Orchid Safari a while back. You can see it
here.

http://www.orchidtrek.com/aussie/aus...servation.html

Visiting with Graham and Margaret got me interested in the native
terrestrials and I couldn't resist joining your club and bringing some
home.

I was aware that you were now a bona fide member of the Sp Orchid Soc
of WA and you are most welcome.I believe you are on the mailing list
for the monthly on line newsletter too, but here is the url if you are
not.

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eemntee/page17.html

Tony