Old 17-12-2005, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default Anyone know the rose Mme Alfred Carriere? Other climber suggestions?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I'm thinking this could be ideal for growing over a pergola and training
along over the top of an adjacent fence with a gate in it at the side of

the
building where some people have gained access to the garden and tried to
break in. The idea is to have a climbing rose along with other security
measures- since I have the pergola I might as well have a climbing rose on
that and train it where it is needed to make it unpleasant for potential
burglars.

MAC is a colour I like for this situation (v pale pink- I don't want

anythng
too conspicuous), apparently has the right qualities as it grows high and
wide enough for two to cover the area in question, and it can put up with
less sun than many roses. For this location and purpose it seems ideal.
However it was descibed in a book as not very thorny. Its the thorns that

I'm
planting it for! I would be good to know how thorny or un-thorny it is. If

it
has half as many thorns as a "fairly thorny" climbing rose, that would
probably still make it a very uncomfortable experience to come apon it
sudddenly in the dark while you're looking for ways of breaking into

people's
houses. I don't need it to be *covered* with thorns, just to have them

every
so often. It could be fine, I just don't know.

Suggestions for any other climbers would be great if anyone has any. It

needs
to be vigourous, grow about 4m high and 3m wide or more, have thorns, not
mind less than 4 hours sun per day, have some scent (the more the better),
preferably be a repeat flowerer and be a quiet colour- ie no reds or

oranges;
white, pale pink etc would be fine. Oh and an easy to grow

disease-resistant
plant would be handy too!

Any ideas, please let me know.

I like masquerade. It has big thorns and lots of them. Mine is grown north
facing, it never gets diseases but sadly is all the colours you don't want.
I think you may have to compromise somewhere.
Get a nice pink thornless rose and a rottweiler perhaps?