Old 17-12-2005, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default The Birds are back

Spring Bored wrote:
"PammyT" wrote in message

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

Yes, especially on very cold days where water freezes. This might be the
only source of water they get. Feeding dry stuff to them which them
absorbs
moisture from their bodies and requires them to drink more, at a time
where
there is little do drink, means they soon die of deyhydration.

Utter nonsense!

On that basis, every bird that comes to my garden and gorges itself on
sunflower hearts, niger seed peanuts and any other seed you care to name,
should be lying in the garden, legs pointing to the sky. Or perhaps you're
suggesting we should soak all bird seed before putting it in the feeders?

Anyway, all the people I know who feed birds, also provide them with water.

I'm planning on making a minature diving board next spring to go with
the bird pool!

Richard.