Old 17-12-2005, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Alliums......

On 17/12/05 14:58, in article ,
"Klara" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
....are poking their noses through the soil!

We had some beautiful allium christophii (father's day present):
magnificent the first year, then all different - large, medium, small -
last summer, but the minute the leaves poked up every bit of them (just
the leaves) was devoured by slugs. I suppose that must mean that that
will have been the end of them?

Well, it won't have done them any good but there's a faint chance they'll
try to reappear, or that some of them will, I suppose. I'd put grit around
each one the minute you get a sight of it, if I were you. And after this,
I shall do the same to ours tomorrow! Ours are Globe master, I think and
we've had them in for two years. They've done very well and come back
pretty much the same each time. But the bed their in is raised with a stone
wall around it and they probably drain well and don't sit in too much cold,
wet soil during the winter.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk