Old 17-12-2005, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Greenhouse oil heat math question

I second this one from Pat. I'm pretty sure I use far less than heat than
you do, although I do still wince everytime we have to fill up the LP tank
.... but I suspect I spend way more for summer cooling, even without cool
pads. Cutting corners on either expense hasn't worked out well for us --
keeping the plants at their best, we've found, is more cost-effective. And
for us, at least, it's more than bud-blast on Phals. E.g., an extra 3
degrees F of heat greatly reduced our leaf-loss on the vandaceous plants.

That said, 65F is warmer than we try to stay. We haven't found that 58F
hurts anything, including budded Phals* -- except ME, when I have to be out
at dawn. I'm not set up for anything under 75F! Fortunately, the plants
are tougher than I am. Kenni

The other factor that affects us probably more than you is the likelihood of
really BIG diurnal shifts, esp. if we don't get the place opened back up
early after a cold night. Despite an overnight low in the low 40s
[outdoors], the high can get into the 80s the next day. THAT will blast
some buds.

If you think your greenhouses grow better with two heaters; increased
sales from better plants or faster growing plants will most likely more
than pay for the additional oil. Humidity will be more uniform in a
greenhouse that has uniform temps. How many blasted buds does it take to
cost more than the oil savings?