Old 14-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Jack

Default Red Spider Mite on cacti

I'd mist the plant with either an insecticidal soap or just a mild soap and
water solution that you can make up yourself. If you don't want to wet the
soil, then cover the soil with a plastic shopping bag.

I've also heard that adding cigarette stubs to the soapy water (let the cigs
soak for a few days) can work.

Also, I would highly suspect that if spider mite is on one plant then it's
on all the others, at least it will be on any adjacent plants. They spread
like wildfire, even on your clothes and hands when you walk past the plant,.

I don't know about cactus, but when my houseplants get spider mite I take
the plant to the shower, enclose the pot in a plastic bag, turn it upside
down and spray the heck out of them. Do this a few times and use the soap
spray inbetween.

And I just read this on a website - can't vouch for it, however:

"As with most small pests even spraying pure water on them will reduce their
numbers. If you would feel foolish spraying just water then you might be
interested to know that in Nigeria where the mite is a huge problem,
gardeners add one cup of white flour and half a cup of sour milk to a gallon
of water as a cure. I understand the plants turn white for a while until the
flour falls off!"

Hope that helps.

"Jolltax" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all

On a recent inspection of my cacti in my greenhouse (kept at about

4degrees
min) i have spotted the evidence of fresh red spider mite attack! Help!

cant water the cacti with insecticide yet as they are still in their

'winter
dry period'.....so how do i stop the mites spreading ?

This is my first year with a greenhouse and i was trying to not use

chemical
warfair if possible.......guess that may have to change!

Any help will be gratefully appreciated, i dont want to loose many cacti!

Marie