Old 18-12-2005, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default Ticks

"Mike" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:12:02 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

.. I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower

meadows"
.. and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read this

about
.. ticks and the diseases they can cause...
..
.. http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm
..
.. It's an increasing problem in the UK.
..
.. (found on another Ng)

My dog gets ticks every year at some point .... I have run around the
fells through head high bracken and crossed acres of heather for the
last 20 years.
Only got a full blown tick once but the bare legs did get covered by
their first stage (larvae I think) on Jura. lots of red pinhead sized
thingys.
You just have to go with the flow and just be observant and not
paranoid ;-)
There are worst things to worry about.

Mike

By using a decent prescription flea treatment your dogs and cats will be
safe. Frontline for instance offers protection against ticks as does
stronghold.
If you don't have a filthy habit like smoking, you won't have a lighted gag
to hand. In any case I doubt I would get close to any of my animals with a
stinking glowing fag end to be able to burn the thing off. I would give the
thing a squirt of frontline. But since my pets already have the protection
of frontline or stronghold it wouldn't be necessary.