Old 18-12-2005, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default The Birds are back

"Kate" wrote in message

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
Spring Bored wrote:
"PammyT" wrote in message

snip
Anyway, all the people I know who feed birds, also provide them
with water.

I'm planning on making a minature diving board next spring to go
with the bird pool!

Richard.

We have one of those "water features" (don`t all groan at once!) where
water bubbles up through a hole in an upturned concrete bowl thingy
which stands in a larger bowl which is the reservoir. We have the
water reaching a height of about 4 inches and during the summer a
female blackbird took showers, rather than baths, by standing almost
on top of the water jet and ducking her head right into the water. She
would then turn around and wash the other end - bit like a bidet,
really!

I bet that would make a fantastic picture if you could have photographed
it.
I turn off my big pond pump in winter because apparently it circulates the
cold surface stuff and harms the fish hibernating in the deep parts.