Old 18-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ticks

On 18/12/05 11:43, in article
ws.net, "Shazam"
wrote:

seems a tad over health'n'safety conscious to me. But I remember being
horrified to find one on the dog's neck about 40 years ago. Friend said the
best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a cigarette
because it withdrew its head

snip

NEVER pull it away. You can use a lighted cigarette if you have someone
around who smokes but animals hate the smell of cigarettes, sensible
creatures. We use a cotton bud dipped in meths or white spirit. The tick
drops off almost immediately. I'm told that coating the tick with olive oil
works because it suffocates them but it seems a waste of olive oil! I
haven't tried that one myself!
We regularly use Frontline or similar on the dogs but invariably they pick
up one or two ticks a year.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk