Old 18-12-2005, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Query

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Hypericum calycinum, known in this country as Rose of Sharon - do not
confuse it with Hibiscus syriacus (USA) or Hibiscus mutabilis
(Australia, or so I'm informed). Presumably it can be grown from seed;
at least it's in the Chiltern Seeds catalog. (I've got some seed filed
away myself, but it's 15 years old, and I wouldn't trust it at that
age.) Alternatively if you have a source, it can be propagated from the
suckers.

It definitely DOES grow from seed, as it has been a casual in my
garden several times!

Upon checking, that seems to be the only fully hardy, creeping
Hypericum. There are lots of other hardy ones, but all seem to
be bushy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.