Old 18-12-2005, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ticks

On 18/12/05 16:49, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

NEVER pull it away. You can use a lighted cigarette if you have someone
around who smokes but animals hate the smell of cigarettes, sensible
creatures. We use a cotton bud dipped in meths or white spirit. The tick
drops off almost immediately. I'm told that coating the tick with olive oil
works because it suffocates them but it seems a waste of olive oil! I
haven't tried that one myself!

I have tried pulling fast and slowly, twisting, oil and cigarettes.
None of those work. If I get a tick close to home, I may try meths
and white spirit, but can't carry those on the hills if I am flying
there. I am afraid that I am not optimistic.

Perhaps if you're meeting people at the hill end of your journey, you could
ensure that they have a tiny supply with them. It really can be very small.
One dab seems to do it for the ticks our dogs have encountered. While I'm
sure Janet has extracted ticks by her method, nobody I know has succeeded in
using it and not leaving the head behind to fester. There really is a knack
to getting that right. Pack some cotton buds in your check in luggage and
you're ready to go. Don't put them in your hand luggage because, as I am
quite sure you will realise, someone will accuse you of threatening to hold
up an entire plane load of people by telling the pilot to fly you to Cuba or
you'll remove his ear wax.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk