Old 18-12-2005, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Ticks

In article ,
Mike wrote:

We moved into a house with a VERY LARGE overgrown garden in Leicester and
one of my daughters got 'something' on the back of her neck. This turned out
to be a tick. What the hell is a tick? etc etc etc.

We had a Doctor living nearby and I went to see him.

The mind boggles. I have removed many dozens of ticks from myself,
in three continents, and would never dream of going to a doctor.

Surgical Spirit, wad of Cotton wool, gentle pressure and a squeeze with a
gripping outward pressure. GONE :-)))

Despite all of the comments on this thread, the critical factor is
how deeply a tick is dug in. If it is just biting lightly, then
any reasonable method will remove it. If it has burrowed right in,
then the only way to remove it completely is by cutting it out.

My guess is that the tendency of ticks to dig in is species specific,
but I have no certain knowledge of that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.