Old 18-12-2005, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default OT Spam & perhaps, Gardenbanter?

Mike Lyle wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
I get surprisingly little spam: Y mail filters out all but, at the
most, three or four a day, while Hditto seems to send absolutely all
spam to the junk folder (Only family know that address; but the uk Y
one has been advertised either in clear or in mildly munged form on
Usenet for years. My Australian y seems wholly immune.). I don't
think I've ever received a single spam via my am* o* li** address. A
thing to watch with Hot is that it may junk a legit message, so I
have to remember to check the junk folder from time to time in case
there's one from a daughter at work.

The things to do before anything else seem to be a) mung the address
you give for Usenet, with an explanation in the sig if necessary,
and b) tell all friends and family, on pain of a lingering death or
no Christmas present, not to send any of those usually feeble jokes
unless all the recipients' addresses are in the bcc window. As my
ex-wife once wisely said, "Friends of friends are a worry; friends
of friends of friends are on the run from the police".

Is there any particular reason why half of this post is in some form
of code?...spambots don't harvest from the body of the mail, so you
can actually type 'yahoo, hotmail and americaonline' without fear, in
any case, it's the bit before the ISP that is important, and even
then it's only harvested from the headers.

Well, hardly half, and it was scarcely Enigma. I was underlining a
point.

My post was half in jest although it didn't come out as such :-p