Old 19-12-2005, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default OT Spam & perhaps, Gardenbanter?

Sacha wrote:

Today, I have received around 80 pieces of junk mail. My junk mail filter
catches most of it very well but I still have to check it, of course. Most
days, the number is something between 30 and 50. Is this because
Gardenbanter is reproducing posts from urg or is there some other
explanation?

It is more likely that your email address has been compromised
elsewhere. If you can use a range of email addresses with throw away
ones for untrustworthy correspondents (including Usenet). Then you can
block them as and when it becomes necessary.

Searching for your email address in Google can be enlightening.

I'd be grateful to know of the experiences and opinions of
others on urg.

The last time Usenet posting history was a serious liability was when
Swen infections were at their height. I had to do something serious when
my inbox exceeded 1GB of viral junk mail.

If it is any consolation a few of the dodgy watch ones are getting
through to me. The rest bounce off former usenet and email ID's unread.

Regards,
Martin Brown