Old 19-12-2005, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Pruning a Walnut Tree

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message
Hew Moore wrote:
Thanks for your kind replies .. all points noted.
Have a great Christmas & an even better New Year.
Regards to all
Hew.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the advice I've read on
walnuts is that they don't respond well to pruning. I can't remember
though what the bad effects are likely to be - maybe the tree just won't
look quite right as it won't put on the new growth you want.

When mine was developing, the branches were at a very low level, and that
became VERY inconvenient, so I cut all the branches off the trunk up to
about 7 feet, the tree has grown massive since then.

So your theory is wrong, at least in my case.

But how do you imagine other growers treat their trees, I'm sure they do not
allow branches to grow at jjst a couple of feet fron the ground.

Alan