Old 19-12-2005, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default Who We Are revisited

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:22:36 GMT in 0P1of.56647$7r6.6147@trnddc07 J Fortuna wrote:
-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Chris Dukes and I'll lump in my fiance Liz. As for gender, I'll let
ya'll figure that out lest I decide to instigate arguments on
perception of gender, gender roles in society, sexism...

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Efland, NC. Windowsill and some flourescent lighted shelves in
my tiny little house in the middle of nowhere.
Raleigh, NC. Windowsill with incadescent grow light assist.

Once work becomes sane I'll be moving a small greenhouse up
from SC.

-- What do I grow?

I can't remember everything Liz has
Atleast 11 Dendrobiums
~9 Phals and relatives
~16 Oncidium Aliance that aren't Tolumnia
atleast 3 paphs
atleast 3 phrags
3 ludisia (4 counting the one I used as change when selling a computer)
8 vandaceous orchids
8 Tolumnia and tolumnia intergenics
1 Cat.

Non orchids, I grow african violets, zygocacti, jerusalem cherry,
spider plants, herbs, oak trees, golden rain trees, daylilies (Sprouting
them from seed is fun).

-- The decade of my age?

I've finished 3 decades and am working on my 4th.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

Started spring 2004 with a Phal for my mom for Mother's day.
It seemed like a better deal than the miniature roses I normally bought
for her.
The addiction started when a local grocery store sold off their
most abused orchids for ~$5 each.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

I remain impressed that the first orchid I was able to rebloom
was a Noble type Dendrobium. Granted it's a Super Ise, but still.
The first Phal I didn't kill is now reblooming on its first spike
and trying to take over the den with the spike it produced this fall.
All of the older miltonidium are in spike, the oldest having
produced a panacle with 100+ blooms last month.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I work for a small telecommunications equipment company and I am
currently overly busy with a beta test/major upgrade.
If your phone suddenly stops working this Christmas, you can
blame me, but it's probably your telco's fault :-).
If you google stalk me, yes I am that troll from the BSD
newsgroups.
Because Liz has kids already, I'm busy thinking of ways to make
space for them, and I'll probably be putting up a couple lean-to
greenhouses on additions to the house.
The eldest daughter doesn't understand our obsession at all, but she's
an incredible artist that has shown quite a bit of skill at botanical
sketches. If she isn't careful, she'll be designing stencils for
replacing the wallpaper with botanical stencils derived from my plants.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil