Old 19-12-2005, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

Default iris care in winter

Will there be any gardners around who live at least as South as London?
I bought a few days ago 5 iris bulbs from the local plant shop. They
all had started turning yellow but they don't seem to have been
rotting. I am guessing the climate could be similar(maybe a little more
rainy in England) I live near Grenoble in the valley, we have snow but
it usually melts in 2-3 days and the same with the frost, 5-6 times a
winter then relatively warm temperatures (a few degrees above zero
Celsius). Do they usually turn yellow in the winter? I can't afford to
replant them in the garden as I don't have one. All I can hope is to
offer them is a nice, not very deep pot with good soil and plenty of
sun.