Old 20-12-2005, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default iris care in winter

I would put the soil in the pots you mentioned, get the soil wet, and lay
the rhizomes on top of the soil and push them down about 1/2 inch. Then
every 5 to 7 days, add a little water and continue this till spring when you
can transplant them outside. If you get a lot of rain I think you might put
them into a raised bed or raised row. You don't need much, but they will
rot if they stay wet.

Dwayne

"birdieb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will there be any gardners around who live at least as South as London?
I bought a few days ago 5 iris bulbs from the local plant shop. They
all had started turning yellow but they don't seem to have been
rotting. I am guessing the climate could be similar(maybe a little more
rainy in England) I live near Grenoble in the valley, we have snow but
it usually melts in 2-3 days and the same with the frost, 5-6 times a
winter then relatively warm temperatures (a few degrees above zero
Celsius). Do they usually turn yellow in the winter? I can't afford to
replant them in the garden as I don't have one. All I can hope is to
offer them is a nice, not very deep pot with good soil and plenty of
sun.