Old 19-12-2005, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Anyone know the rose Mme Alfred Carriere? Other climber suggestions?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:52:20 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in message ):

Try Rosa 'Alberic Barbier' instead, although not at the top of the list
thorns wise its a lot thornier than Madam Alfred Carrier which as Nick

has
said is almost completely thornless.
If you can get it 'La Perle' is also a good choice, both these I would
describe as cream white and are of wichuriana rambler descent, if you

want a
hint of pink I would go for Adelaide d' Orleans which is a sempervirens

type
rambler with flowers like giant cherry blossom. all are easy and trouble
free and nearly evergreen.

AB looks quite good. Is it a rambler insofar as needing to be cut back to
almost nothing and regrowing each year? There is a problem - the pergola I
have was put in an odd position for privacy purposes- one long side is a

mere
18" away from the neighbours fence! Consequently pruning and related
activities will be a bit of an issue with such limited access. Add to that

my
partial disability and I have a reason AFAICS to go for a climber rather

than
a rambler. At least with a climber I think pruning is limited to trimming

and
thinning out or whatever as needed- I don't have to worry about

re-threading
the whole thing through the trellis every year, which I beleive I'd be

doing
with a rambler. If I'm mistaken about this though, do please tell me!

Looking at what else is available, I think Gloire de Dijon seems like it
could be a good option. I'm assuming it is reasonably thorny, but have

seen
no references to that anywhere I've looked. Is anyone familiar with this

one?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

I don't know if I am right to do so but I just remove a couple of the oldest
stems each year by cutting them into short lengths then allowing their new
replacements to grow in. I find the ramblers more flexible and easier to
grow here, Cornwall is not good rose country!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk