Old 20-12-2005, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Who We Are revisited

I'm Ray, male, 53 years old.

I've been growing orchids since grad school, so that makes it 30 years at
this point.

I grow anything that catches my eye, but am particularly fond of slippers,
all sorts of vandaceous plants, encyclias and odd-ball species.

I suppose most would say that my greatest accomplishment has been coming up
with semi-hydroponic culture, but to me it's not throwing in the towel after
a heater failure on a seven-degree (F) night that wiped out a 20-year
collection of stuff, including irreplaceable plants I collected while
traveling the world on business. I have another opportunity to test my
desire to go on right now, as my propane supplier was kind enough to run me
out of fuel on a 5° night just last week. Fortunately, it wasn't a total
wipe out (looks like the heat went off right at dawn), but I have a lot of
trimming to do while on Christmas vacation.