Old 15-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Alan Gould

Default Soil and pest question

In article , Sarah
Dale writes

OTOH, I love cucmber, but I don't think its practical for me to grow as I
have no greenhouse, and you can't freeze a glut, so thats one thing I'm
not going to grow, although I want to eat it.

Our alternative to cucumber is to grow courgettes (zucchinis) instead.
They are quite easy to grow outside and they are much more controllable
in cropping than cu's if they are taken and eaten very small. When eaten
in salad or sandwiches I prefer their drier nutty taste to the wetness
of cucumber slices. Courgettes can also be cooked in several interesting
ways, especially in Mediterranean style dishes. As with cucumbers though
they are not good for freezing.

We had a terrific glut of cucumbers one year when some Telegraph just
went out of control. We hate dumping any grown crops, even on our
compost heap, so in desperation I sliced a lot of them into a large bowl
and let them drain for a day or so. Then I used the neat cucumber juice
to make two gallons of wine, not really expecting it to be very
palatable. It turned out to be a very good dry white table wine and I
suspect it would be equally good if made sparkling.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.