Old 15-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Mike

Default Large shrubs next to fences

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
"sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
in article , Martin Sykes at
wrote on 11/2/03 3:01 pm:

It will almost certainly damage the fence eventually and it will be
difficult for you to get to the back of the shrubs to trim them. How

about
putting wires on the fence and training climbers up them? Several are
evergreen and with judicious planting, you could have colour and scent all
year round.

Will the same happen if I plant a hedge of native species in front of the
fence? If not, what's the difference and if so, what can I do as my hedge is
intended to grow and replace the fence eventually.

Martin

If your hedge is intended to replace the fence, do what has been done
down one side of my garden. The previous neighbour (his fence) post and
chain linked it. We have a hedge on our side which when it grows through
their side they are quite happy to get the hedge trimmer on it whilst we
do the same on our side.

You must be able to get on with your neighbours or they will complain
about it! We are very fortunate that we get on very well with them and
work together on both sides.

Mike and Joan

http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.