Old 21-12-2005, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default chili harvest

In article , Phil L
writes

Mine were prolific although the fruits themselves left a lot to be desired,
they were huge (about 150 - 200mm long) and very wide, each plant produced
about 20 red ones and when the frost got them last week they still had about
30 green ones on them and even flowers still, the main drawback was that
they weren't chilli, they tasted like a mildly warm capsicum!

I've had mixed results. Hungarian Hot Wax and another hot chilli were
both prolific - but with very little heat. The odd thing is that
different chillies on the same plant seemed to vary in heat. A (very)
few were hottish; most were very mild and a few were mild when first
tasted, but after a few days in the fridge they became hot!

Same thing happened last year to them too.

However, a little chilli that looked almost like a bush - can't remember
the name - had hundreds of very small chillis - all of which went very
red and were very hot - absolutely excellent.

I agree with the greenfly statement - mine also needed a lot of hand
rearing to keep tiny little caterpillars off them. They all ended up
with a lot of leaves looking like an unpatched patchwork quilt. Didn't
seem to cause a problem.

The 4 "bell" peppers all did really well too - enormous very red peppers
that were full of juice and tasete.

--
regards andyw