Old 21-12-2005, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default growing potatoes for Xmas

On 21/12/05 9:54, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Obviously I'm slightly late for this year but how do you go about
growing your own potatoes ready for you xmas meal.

I saw somewhere that you can plant some seed potatoes in seed compost
in a bin in september , is this true ? What sort of potatoes should
you plant ?

Do you need to water , feed etc

Do you need to protect from frost ?

Chit them in the normal way and put them into good compost in September.
Water them and protect them from frost. My husband has grown potatoes in a
grow bag! Of course, the other trick is to dig them at the normal time of
year, put them into a sealed tin and bury them in the ground until you want
to eat them in the winter. A lot of old gardeners used to do that, though I
haven't tried it. But I'm assured that it works.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk