Old 15-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Iris unguicularis

I have a couple of questions about I. unguicularis

I have a bluish one, maybe 'Walter Butt', which is planted at the base
of a south-facing wall as recommended. It has slowly bulked up. Two
years ago it flowered on and off quite well and last year it was
constantly in flower, a few blooms at a time, for the whole winter.
This year a big let-down. I haven't yet had a single flower and I
wondered if anyone could guess why it might be. I assume it must be to
do with temperature at vital times but whether last summer's
temperatures or the winter's temperatures I haven't a clue.

Secondly, I've rooted an off-cut from it and I'm wondering where to
plant it. I've run out of south-facing wall and I'm wondering whether
it's unlikely to flower (especially judging by this winter's
performance) in a south facing sheltered border among shrubs etc. Any
experience of getting it to flower in less than ideal situations?

Many thanks
Janet G