Old 21-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default growing potatoes for Xmas

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

La Puce wrote:
[...]
and peas (frozen) and leeks. But my spuds went in as seeds in March
(easter day is the custom). I had potatoes in June, these where my
earlies. Why would one do it in September?

[...]

It's a perfectly normal thing to do: I'm amazed you haven't heard of
it. You do it for the delight of having fresh home-grown new potatoes
at Christmas.

Having said that, I'll admit I've never done it myself.

Another thing people do is to plant early varieties _late_ : that can
extend your cropping. (They are early more in the sense of being
quicker than of needing the conditions found earlier in the year.)

Last year I left Pink Fir Apple in the ground until December and they
were fine when dug up. They store particularly well as they're one of
the latest varieties to chit in spring, so it's quite a good way of
getting a good boiling/salad type potato late in the season. This gives
you something which could be considered to approximate to a new potato
taste and texture.
Janet G