Old 22-12-2005, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default Cranberries and Blueberries

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Neil Cairns" wrote in reply to...
"Bob Hobden" who asked..

Cranberries and blueberries.
Just bought some of each for the new allotment, considering the pH of
under
5.5 down there they should be in ideal soil acidity.
Never grown either before, so if anyone else has, are there any secrets
etc
we should know

Water from the water but if your tap water has limestone, your kettle
or the end of your tap would be a good indicator.

They are going in the ground on the allotment after I've dug in some peat so
I didn't intent to water much if at all.
Are you saying they like lots of water, damp conditions?

Not especially wet, but they need soft water like rainwater (not
tapwater if you are in a hard water zone). Otherwise they are a dream -
put them in and forget about them. Almost no pruning needed good crop if
you have two or more cultivars. Only problem I have is that the birds
will kill for them and they must be netted very carefully.

They are even rather pretty in autumnal colour and slightly decorative
red stems in winter.

Yes, the water around here is hard.

Be sure to use a water butt for rinwater then. I expect you have a bit
more latitude with them in the ground but for container growing it is
important not to add alkaline tapwater or lime.

Never grown cranberries. I have a feeling they need annually flooding
fields (or that may be a cunning way to harvest them).

Regards,
Martin Brown