Old 22-12-2005, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Anyone know the rose Mme Alfred Carriere? Other climber suggestions?

In article m,
VX writes:
| On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 8:49:02 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote
| (in message ):
|
| I don't know if I am right to do so but I just remove a couple of the oldest
| stems each year by cutting them into short lengths then allowing their new
| replacements to grow in. I find the ramblers more flexible and easier to
| grow here, Cornwall is not good rose country!
|
| I'd really like to understand this- can I ask what it is about ramblers that
| seems more flexible (and easier to grow)? If I can get my head round this I
| could be on to something (like knowing what I'm doing and even maybe making a
| good choice....)

Ramblers are typically very vigorous species and varieties and
so may be easier to grow in marginal conditions. The division
into climbers, ramblers and shrub roses is pretty arbitrary.
None are true climbers - the closest roses come is ones that
grow up through bushes and are prevented from falling back by
their thorns, and many roses will do that if grown in other
shrubs and make a bush if grown in the open.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.