Old 15-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Soil and pest question

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 06:47:33 +0000, Alan Gould wrote:

Our alternative to cucumber is to grow courgettes (zucchinis) instead.
They are quite easy to grow outside and they are much more controllable

I grew courgettes last year, and will do so again this year. Both of us
love eating courgettes, and although only one of my courgette plants made
it to cropping, the results were very good for a beginner! I'm going to
start more seeds off this year, in the hopes of achieving 2 or 3 croppiong
plants as there is only the two of us to eat them. (Last year I planted 3
seeds, got 2 plants, one plant just never did anything, the other tried to
take over the garden path!)

and let them drain for a day or so. Then I used the neat cucumber juice
to make two gallons of wine, not really expecting it to be very
palatable. It turned out to be a very good dry white table wine and I
suspect it would be equally good if made sparkling.

We're not into making wine, perhaps it is interesting memories of my Dad's
efforts at making wine when I was small that are deterring me!!! ;-)

Many thanks for your advice Alan, it has been much appreciated over the
last 18 months or so as I have developed my kitchen garden. Heres to Year
2!

Sarah