Old 23-12-2005, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default General questions about freshwater plants

Thanks guys, that does help a lot.

I do have a 10 gallon cichlid tank (total of 3 cichlids) that I have
put plants in. I figured the cichlids would rip up the plants first
thing, but it would at least give me a vague idea how to keep plants. I
replaced the incandescent bulbs with the compact flourescent bulbs (12
watts a peice, so 2.4 watts per gallon), and to my surprise they have
lived for 3 weeks, and have grown some despite being mildly harassed by
the cichlids.

All the advise has been very helpful. I will purchase the plants in a
few weeks and will set up the tank with as much lighting as I can. I'll
probably have to go for another incandescent hood, and replace the
bulbs with compact flourescents. I'll get the biggest bulbs that will
fit.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Ed K