Old 15-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Iris unguicularis

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:52:51 GMT, Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson wrote:

I have a couple of questions about I. unguicularis

...a bluish one, maybe 'Walter Butt'...planted at the base
of a south-facing wall...
This year a big let-down. I haven't yet had a single flower and I
wondered if anyone could guess why it might be. I assume it must be to
do with temperature at vital times but whether last summer's
temperatures or the winter's temperatures I haven't a clue.

Try cutting the foliage off at the end of July so the rhizomes
get a good ripening. And pour a bucket of any old soluble
fertilizer on the things. They are fairly gross feeders. I'd say
that you could fertilize now, but I gather the UK is having some
nastily cold weather, so wait until spring has more perfectly
sprung.

Secondly, I've rooted an off-cut from it and I'm wondering where to
plant it. I've run out of south-facing wall and I'm wondering whether
it's unlikely to flower (especially judging by this winter's
performance) in a south facing sheltered border among shrubs etc. Any
experience of getting it to flower in less than ideal situations?

I have one clump hiding behing a huge Cytisus battandieri where
it gets little direct sun -- but it flowers.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada