Old 23-12-2005, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Dan

Default Well, the herons found my pond...

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Bummer!

How deep is your pond?

Let us know when you learn who is there still.

Jim

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..

I've been pretty lucky with my new pond this year and lost
no fish to critters (at least none that I know of). Well,
that may have changed. I looked out tonight and saw a great
blue heron standing in the middle of the pond by the waterfall.
The pond is only half frozen now since the days have been in
the upper 30's/low 40's this week. My kid's nanny was here
tonight and mentioned that she's seen it around for several
days this week and thought nothing of it. Oh well... I put
a mist net over it tonight so I shouldn't be loosing any
more. Guess it had to happen eventually.

Unfortunately it's only 18-22" which was as deep as I
could go before hitting bedrock. I kind of expected that
since I have schist boulders all around my back yard
and my neighbor has a sloping 10' high, 20' long monolith
rising from their front yard (actually looks pretty cool
and the kids love it).

In any case, after removing the plants for the winter I
sumerged a 2'x3' piece of flat quarry stone and placed it
on bricks to give the fish some cover. I lifted it today
and found most of the fish hiding beneath it. I'm
sure I lost some fish to the heron, but at least a dozen
survived to swim another day. BTW, the heron was back last
night, tried to land, hit the net, and flew off.

One more quick note. I went to remove the leaves from my
skimfilter and found a half dozen frogs hibernating in the
bottom. Guess I won't be cleaning it out until spring.