Old 23-12-2005, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Well, the herons found my pond...

"Dan" wrote in message

In any case, after removing the plants for the winter I
sumerged a 2'x3' piece of flat quarry stone and placed it
on bricks to give the fish some cover. I lifted it today
and found most of the fish hiding beneath it.

That's GOOD news. :-)

I'm
sure I lost some fish to the heron, but at least a dozen
survived to swim another day. BTW, the heron was back last
night, tried to land, hit the net, and flew off.

The nets do discourage them but new birds come into the area all the time.
The net will also keep out kingfishers, snapper turtles, cranes, large
bullfrogs, snakes and mammals with a taste for fish.

One more quick note. I went to remove the leaves from my
skimfilter and found a half dozen frogs hibernating in the
bottom. Guess I won't be cleaning it out until spring.

--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952