Old 23-12-2005, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
The Dwarf

Default Your Garden buzzing?

Rupert Said

"I have given up looking for the exact speed of a tit but I think its
somewhere between 20-50mph.
However,
A Peregrine Falcon, chased by an airplane (unusual circumstances) - top
speed ever recorded at 145 mph "

and

Found this which you should read because you will be tested at a later date
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/.../speedofbirds/

The Link Said

In 1938 an American newspaper published a report from a pilot who was
nose-diving at 170mph. The speed of his plane wasn't exceptional. What was
remarkable was that he was passed by a diving peregrine stooping on some
ducks "as though the plane was standing still". In 1955 another observer
used a stop-watch to record the speed of needletail swifts crossing a valley
in the Cahar Hills of Assam. The valley was two miles broad and the birds
took between 32.8 and 41.8 seconds to traverse it. Thus the fastest speed
was 219.5mph

How come you contridicted yourself in the space of two posts?

wsgroups.com wrote in message ...

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
**** Merry Christmas ****

How's your garden doing today?
Tell us all at

http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Mine is buzzing with coal tits zipping around from feeder to feeder
wonder how fast they fly? seems like 100mph anyone know??

--
Regards
James (ukjay)

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal