Old 24-12-2005, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Who We Are revisited

Who am I?

Well that is the question I ask on a weekly basis and it is always
evolvin.
They call me Nanook (big Zappa fan...Frank that is) male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Atlanta and one hundred miles south in Roberta Georgia.
All over the house, In a propagation room downstairs und
er HFL, HPS, and MH lights as well as regular Floros everywhere,on a
sun porch (all glass) on a deck, in the trees, hangin under the
overhang of the house in ATL. around the pool, in an out building and
in a sun porch in Roberta.

What do I grow?

Mainly just Stanhopeas from flask. I buy from all over the world,
either ordering or going and hand picking the flasks I want myself.
It's a good excuse to get away.
I do have a couple hundred other types but they are just for blooms to
make the wife unit happy.
Gosh, no telling how many actuall orchids I have. So many are compots
of twenty to sixty plants. I also board for a few people. I'm guessin
at 800 to 1000

The decade of my age?

4th

How long have I been growing orchids?

All my life I have had one or two here and there but my wife gave me a
Phal for valantines day some 6 or 8 years ago and that kicked it into
high gear. My mother was a huge house plant grower and garden club
addict. We also grew all our own organic food, vegies, rabbits and
chickens. I was a very large scale pot farmer as a teen, where I
experimented with Hydro, sort of what what Ray calls semi-hydro and
the ebb and flow.

My biggest accomplishment?

I am still working on it. The right medium and basket or mount to grow
a Stan as a house plant in regular house humidity.
But the main accomplishment is just learning on my own how to raise
all types from flask.

Misc info

Am orig from Al been a motorcycle street racer and mechanic.
Learned a now useless skill of TV repair back in the 70s.
Organic chem. to learn how to manufacture substances for abuse.
Office equip repair and computer output microfilm Field service
covered southern US
20 years in microfilm and scanning in the banking industry.
The same 20 years also was house electrician, master electrician and
board opp for live theatre.
Now work for the Atl Journal and the New York Times as an IT guy, comp
satt. uplink, film proc., proofers Imagers on and on......
Am lookin to give it up and just raise plants