Old 16-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Looking for a pretty climber - suggestions?

The message
from GR contains these words:

Many thanks to everyone who helped with my buddleia pruning question -
now onto my second gardening issue!

Our garage takes up a large part of our back garden, with the rear
wall facing the house. I'd like to grow something that will cover that
rear wall and, ideally, spread around the corner and down the long
wall as well, covering up as much of the brickwork as possible.

Any suggestions? Ivy seems to be the obvious answer, but I'd prefer
something a little less cliched, and with some nice flowers to boot.
Roses are out, as we want to keep the garden as thorn-free as possible
(no kids yet, but maybe next year!)

It would also help if it was very vigorous and tolerant of ham-fisted
beginners like me! =;-)

A lot would depend on which direction each of your walls faces. The
advantage of ivy is that it's evergreen and there are lots of different
sized leaves, types of variegations and degrees of vigour.

I'd be thinking in terms of a mixture of things: some evergreen and
definitely including some clematis. But some further info about
direction and conditions would help.

The climbing hydrangea is slow to get going but excellent once established

Janet G