Old 24-12-2005, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karl Warner

Default growing a walnut tree

"Stephen Henning" wrote in messageowadays
Not the best for eating either. The English and Carpathian are the best
eating and cooking walnuts.

I agree yet I found that first sentence jarring ... cannot let it pass.
Perhaps the word "eating" needs clarification. I grew up in a farming
community in the central US. As a child I earned pocket money by hulling,
cracking and picking black walnuts. Very labor intensive but, hey, it was
darn good money in those days. I doubt if they are available now, but to
me, no other walnut compares. Comparable would be hickory nuts. (I supplied
them also.)
--- Karl Warner