Old 25-12-2005, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karl Warner

Default growing a walnut tree

"Tom J" wrote

to me, no other walnut compares. Comparable would be hickory nuts.

I agree with you, black walnuts are the best tasting of all but the
hardest to shell out. I also agree that hickory nuts are just as good, but
even harder to shell out. After eating these all my life, I just don't
like the walnuts that come from the retail store at all - like eating
cardboard in comparison!! This year was a bumper crop of both black
walnuts and hickory nuts in North Georgia.

Ahh, delightful... glad to hear that some still exist. It has been over 70
years since I wandered south of the Ohio River. Apparently not all your
woodlots have been converted to asphalt or soybeans. Do youngsters still go
to school in the Fall with brown stained hands? Forgive me for running this
off-thread. It is a lonely Christmas morning and I am wallowing in
nostalgia. One last question: Do you know if anyone even attempts to
harvest and market black walnuts? -- Karl