Old 25-12-2005, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Who We Are revisited

LOL!! The millennium debate all over again!

Therefo I'm in my 6th decade although my age begins with a 5.

I live in N California in the greater San Francisco Bay area, however on
the warmer/drier side of it.

I've been growing orchids since 1993 (I'm pretty sure of the date) and
have been posting on rgo since finding a link on the old Pathfinder
version of the AOS homepage and forum over Christmas break in 1994. Else
I'd never have known that Usenet existed. I believe (and I trust danny
to correct me if I'm wrong) that puts me in my second decade of posting
to rgo. Sounds impressive if you put it that way. *G*

I grow a wide array of hybrids and species. First on windowsills, then
under lights and finally in a greenhouse I built (then added to) myself.
I tend to like orchids that don't stay in flower too long (4 weeks is
the max I can stand looking at the same old flower) and I must be a
masochist, because if an orchid blooms easily and without much tweaking
then it can't be any good. My new year's resolution is to break myself
of that notion. I have a feeling its related to the rush Sally Field
felt when she gushed her Oscar acceptance speech. They must like me,
they must really *like* me!!

I haven't achieved my greatest orchid achievement yet. Like RFK I dream
dreams and ask 'Why not?' I'd love to get a CCM one day. People sneer,
but to have an award that says dang, girl, you grew that well! would
really make me insufferable to live with for a few days! I'd love to be
the one to figure out how to get Reiner's Australian terrestrials to
grow here in America. (in my backyard, of course -- self serving as
always. *G*!) And since I finally entered into the world of hobbyist
hybridizers, I hope that my hybrids will be the next George King
'Serendipity' and Goldenzelle 'Lemon Chiffon' of the cattleya world,
LOL! Until then I'll have to content myself with what I've got.

My one claim to fame - if you can call it that - is I edit the
OrchidSafari Archives (http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html)
and http://www.orchidsafari.org. I'm rather happy about that.
OrchidSafari still exists as a chat group. http://anam.keltik.net
(please accept cookies from keltik else you'll never be able to get in
to chat) And we also present as solid a source of information on orchid
topics that we can think up. I'm currently negociating with the heirs of
Herb Hager to get some of his old AOS articles online. I think they're
still pertinant. I have some of Gavino Rotor's works online with
permission of the heirs. If anyone wants or has any other of Gavino's
works you'd like to see online let me know because I've posted what I've
been able to lay my hands on. This stuff shouldn't be buried in the
back issues of the AOS Bulletin or the Orchid Digest Corp.

But don't get me started...

I webmaster the Pacific Central Judging Center's webpage
http://www.aospacificcentral.org and will webmaster the page for the new
judging center for the California Central Valley and Reno region, URL
TBA (ie. whenever I get off my butt to register a name and get space.)
Eric Hunt and I met here on rgo and through that association we've been
able to show many pictures of plants awarded in our region. I'm rather
proud of that too. And it wouldn't work if I didn't have Eric. I don't
think people outside the Center really realize that, so I'll say it out
loud here.

Thanks Eric for all you do for us at the Center as well as us here at
rgo. I know it seems like all you do is show pictures but there's more
than meets the eye to that. Your knowledge expands our knowledge.

But I digress.

This is supposed to be about *me*.

But how can this be about me when me is about us?

I wouldn't know jack shit if I hadn't found cyberspace when I did. Or
rgo. I haven't given back a 10th of what I've gotten from you all.

So I'll shut up now and say Merry Christmas to everyone. And thanks for
a great 11 years.

K Barrett

Eric Hunt wrote:
What'd ya hafta go and confuse everyone now for! =)

-Eric

"danny" wrote in message
.. .

Just as a general comment, it seems that for "The decade of my age" many
people are using the first digit of their age. This ignores the first
decade they lived. Someone in their 30's is in their 4th decade, not
their 3rd.
-danny