Old 26-12-2005, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Paul in Redland

Default Attach 4" pipe to pool skimmer question

Robin,
Several of the links you provide don't seem to work, so I don't know just
what you have in mind here. Having said that, you could made a skimmer for
about $30 using a fiberglass laundry sink. You can get them at Lowes, Home
Depot etc. Very easy if you're the DIY type and have a few simple tools.
Greg Bickal used to have plans on his website (
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/ ), but now he has all his stuff on a
$10 cd. Well worth it. He has a lot of good ideas.
I don't understand why you're using 4" PVC pipe. ABS pipe is a lot cheaper
in large sizes and works quite well. Is the 4" size necessary?

Paul

"PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote in message
I need advice on hooking up a swimming pool filter to a 4" PVC pipe which
will gravity drain to a 55 gallon settling tank (along with a 4" pipe from
my bottom drain). See http://powlusr.tripod.com/Pond/Pond.htm#Update pick
#4 for details.

I'm looking at three possible skimmers, 2-wide mouth (11.5" wide rather
than 8") and 1 long neck (neck extends further from the pool, err pond).
Would wide mouth or long neck be better?
$49.99 Deluxe Skimmer - wide mouth
http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_dis...&pp=yes&afsrc=1
$44.99 ABS - wide mouth
http://www.poolstore.com/store1/wel...immerindex.html
$46.82 SP1097 long neck
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Sw...19~product.html

Any suggestions on how to attach a 4" PVC pipe to the bottom? How do you
cut the hole? Use a collar? What type of glue? Has anyone had problems
doing this. I'm trying to save money, but would I be happier in the long
run if I attach the 4" PVC to a regular pond skimmer such as the $145
Atlantic 4500 (http://www.pondliner.com/AtlanticPS4500.htm).

--
Robin
The Poconos, PA