Old 26-12-2005, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Harris

Default Cranberries and Blueberries

In article , (Bob Hobden)
wrote:

are there any secrets etc we should know?

My Blueberry experience differs from a lot of the things written in the
books.

Water: They do OK in a large (18" cube) container that is rarely watered
except by our local 30" of rain.

Soil: I did put some peat in the container together with a load of
garden compost but the pH has crept up to around 6.5 - not seriously
acid

Pollination: My solitary "Bluecrop" produces excellent crops.

Birds: It's not essential to net the bush - some years, the birds ignore
it.

I do feed mine with an "acid" fertiliser and top up the container with
garden compost, autumn leaves etc from time to time.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/