Old 16-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Laphing Boy

Default Advice

"MC Emily" wrote in message
Piling wood progressively in the place you're going to burn it isn't a

good
idea because you could have hedgehogs inside it all. If you can, move the
pile and while you're moving it look out for hedgehogs. Many hedgehogs

have
come out of hibernation early this year because of the mild winter we've

had
but now it's gone colder they've gone back into hibernation again. During
January I found 5 wandering about looking very sleepy but quite healthy -
they'd just woken up too early!!! If you care about hedgehogs (gardeners
usually do), please check there aren't any in your bonfire before you get

it
going. Of course, some people couldn't give a stuff about them but I hope
you're not one of those )

Jaqy

Thanks to all for the advice. I will try again next weekend.

Jaqy,

We have Hedgehogs. My failure with a bonfire will not hurt them! I try to
light a small fire and then move stuff onto it. Then it goes out. Rather
than try and get the big pile to just burn )

Ian