Old 28-12-2005, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default rats and peanuts

"BAC" wrote in message

"ken" wrote in message
ups.com...
I stopped feeding squirrels and birds last year becasue rats came and
ate the sunflower seeds - i have 2 questions - do rats bother with
peanuts? and Is there some kind of see i can put out that will not
attract rats?

Rats are omnivorous, and any animal or vegetable substance they can fit in
their mouths or take a bite from is likely to be vulnerable to their
attentions. I have not heard of a type of seed they will not eat.
Basically,
the only seeds I can think of which might give them too much trouble to
bother with are large (whole) nuts, like coconuts (and even they would
probably be vulnerable if the rats were really hungry), but then the birds
wouldn't be able to get into them, either. So, sorry, I think the answer's
got to be 'No'.

I was told when I was in the army that back in "the old days" when explosive
propellants were black powder in Hessian bags, they would eat the
propellants.

Steve