Old 28-12-2005, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ivy / Safe climber

On 28/12/05 11:27, in article
, "Richard M"
wrote:

snip
But, the property
has a history of (1) subsidence owing to wisteria on the south-facing
wall abstracting water from the soil causing movement to the property
(London soil), and (2) damage to brickwork from ivy on the north-facing
wall. Apparently, I am going to have to remove both of these climbers.

In the circumstances, can you recommend any climbers that look pretty
covering houses, but which do not increase thw risk of subsidence or
damage to brickwork?

snip

Hello, Richard. You'll get lots of suggestions and debates about what suits
you best but if in doubt, go for trellis with things going up it. You could
have Clematis armandii which is evergreen, as long as your area doesn't get
severe frosts, Holboellia coriacea, also evergreen, Lonicera (honeysuckles)
roses and probably quite a lot of others. Once the brickwork is in good
condition again, using trellis probably increases the range of different
plants you can use. And I'm sure this group will come up with a multitude
of ideas as to what they could be.
Our house is slate shingle clad on some aspects and we've had to take down a
Wisteria which was getting under the slates and causing a lot of potential
damage, so I sympathise. But IME, builders hate plants on house walls so do
be absolutely certain it's the plants that need removing and not a builder's
personal prejudice. ;-)

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk