Old 29-12-2005, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default bugs? fungus? eating my "orchid cactus"

"V_coerulea" wrote in message

Your plants are epiphyllums, commonly known as orchid cacti.
Your
condition is rather common. While it could be caused by sucking
insects, the spots are more commonly caused by either water
left on
the plants in full sun causing sunburn (water drops act as
lenses
magnifying the light to burn small round patches), or by
overwatering at a time of the year when the temps are lower and
the
plant cannot use or get rid of excess water. Epiphyllums are
rarely
hit by fungi, at least on the "leaves" (stems). And the most
common
insect problem is mealybug which is easily seen. Give your
plants a
winter rest by reducing water and fertilizer especially if
they're
not in full sun or receiving full natural light, depending on
your
location. Good growing. Gary "Lynn Coffelt"

wrote in message ...
Help, something is blistering my orchid cactus leaves.
Picture is posted on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I've got
two
or three varieties of
something Wife calls "orchid cactus" growing in the
greenhouse.
One (the most beautiful when it decides to bloom) has this
blight
that I can't seem to slow down. I don't want it to spread
into
the others until I learn something about control.
Each little spot seems to start with a little watery
blister,
and then dry up into a much harder brown blister. I thought
at
first it was some kind
of a bug inside the early stage blister. I popped one or two
open
and using
a 10x glass looked for something squirming or with legs......
nothing I could identify.
Is this ailment something anyone knows about? And also
I'm
sure that there is a better name for the plant than "orchid
cactus"..... maybe some help there too!

Thanks in advance!
Lynn (really rank amateur greenhouser)

Water drops cannot act as a magnifying glass.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5