Old 29-12-2005, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ivy / Safe climber

On 29/12/05 9:48 am, in article
, "Richard M"
wrote:

Thank you very much, everyone, for your thoughts and experiences. It
sounds very much like I need to do more investigating as to what the
real source of the problem is. It had not occurred to me that the
matter may have been oversimplified. In answer to your questions, the
position (as I have been told it by varying structural professionals)
is that there is some very minor subsidence to the south-facing
wistera-clad front wall. This is said to be due to a nearby acacia
tree drying out the soil (others have identified it as a rowan or a
rabinia - I am no expert). But, as a result, I have been asked to
remove all vegetation, namely acacia, wisteria and leylandia. From
what you are saying, it sounds like the wisteria may be being blamed
for the tree's activities. I obviously need to get this clarified.
Any suggestions who may be an appropriate professional to do this?

Personally and admittedly without seeing it, I'm guessing the acacia if by
that, you mean a mimosa. I really do doubt a wisteria could do THAT much
damage at its roots. Certainly, this house had a very large, old mimosa
tree on one corner that had to be taken down as its roots were becoming too
large.
I think I'd get a surveyor, your builder and a tree surgeon there together
and get their joint and several opinions. At the very least you might get
agreement on the cause of the problem and the way to tackle it, with
everyone reading from the same script! To find out what the mystery tree
is, try a Google image search on Rowan, Robinia pseudoacacia and Acacia or
mimosa.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk