Old 29-12-2005, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default reducing phosphates

"Larry" wrote in message
I have a 26g fully planted tank. Phosphate readings of my tap water
is .25-.5 ppm. My tank registers close to 2.0 I do weekly water
changes(25%), clean exposed gravel and feed the fish once daily.
Lighting is 55w on for about 10-12 hours/day. I use fertilizer once a
week, potassium twice weekly and have a diy CO2.

Any idea what's in your 'fertilizer'?

2 ppm is a little high, but not outrageous. Larger water changes would help
or maybe some algae eaters for the algae.

I think I should be lowering the PO4. Some algae buildup is showing
on my plants. Other than more water changes should I be using
something I saw at my LFS. It was a white sack with some type of
granules in it. Claims to reduce PO4 and is good for 3 montshs. Put
in filter or in tank. Is this charcoal? I've heard people using
this but never knew for what purpose. I don't have room IN my filter
so would have to slip it into the back of my tank behind plants.

Likely not charcoal, but some kind of resin. Most carbon actually contains
Phospahtes.

Your advice?
(also posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater,misc.)

Larry