Old 29-12-2005, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Heseltine arboretum

On 29/12/05 2:13 pm, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Did anyone see the programme on the Heseltine's arboretum? I thought it
very good because I love seeing what inspires people and how they make their
gardens. But nine gardeners.........!

Yes I did, I thought he was insufferable, and the soul-less "garden"
deeply disappointing (considering what a fortune in money, labour and
equipment had been put into creating it). Not so much a garden, more of
a s******y.

It IS meant to be an arboretum more than a garden, though! Their passion
seems to be for trees, rather than perennials etc., so I didn't see it as
swanking because the passion seemed genuine. This doesn't mean that I don't
think he gets a helluva kick out of showing it off, either!
Funnily enough, I expected to find him insufferable and actually though he
came over better than I'd anticipated, though I'm unlikely to be president
of his fan club. However, I thought he dealt rather well with the slight
and occasional pushiness of his interviewer who tried to solicit his views
on politics and Mrs Thatcher etc. It was, after all, meant to be about his
planting and not his political life so I thought her questions in that
regard rather cheeky.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk