Old 17-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Large shrubs next to fences

"Sacha" wrote in message
m...
Aren't you a little unsure of what you want from both fence and hedge?
Didn't you say the hedge was intended to replace the fence,
eventually? Now you're saying you don't want to remove the fence.

I do want to remove the fence but only when the hedge is able to do its job
in terms of both security and privacy. I've ordered my native hedgeing as
seedlings because I'm in no rush. I didn't think the fence would be a
problem other than maybe making the hedge a bit bare on one side which I
thought would recover once the fence was removed.

Looking around this morning, it does seem that everyone has got fences with
shrubs/hedges planted next to them so surely they're not all going to fall
over. Is it just a problem if the shrubs have very strong branches and the
fence posts aren't set securely? Is the problem the branches or the roots?

Martin