Old 29-12-2005, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Bill Alexander

Default Latest Report

"Padger" wrote in message
. uk...

"dylan" wrote in message
snip
Water put out this morning, although it was -6deg C out there
so not sure
how long it was water.

Know what you mean. Our bird bath supplemented by a disused wok
gets frozen
solid and has to be emptied out and refilled daily. Actually
more like
broken out than emptied.
It always amazes me just how hardy our garden birds are.

btw Yellowhammers were quite common in my part of Scotland in
the '50s.
Never kept in aviaries to the best of my knowledge.
Jim

And still VERY common thank goodness

Hope you are enjoying the southern heatwave?
For the benefit of our English cousins, can I be parochial (me?)
In Braemar as recently as 1982 temps dropped to -27.2
And for Feb of that year temps in my garden hardly rose above -17
I also seem to remember in recent years the criteria for fuel
payments would kick in if the temp dropped 2 degrees below the
seasonal norm.
In the West Country it may mean a pensioner would get the
allowance if it were 2 degrees if 4 was the norm.
While in the Braemar area it may be have been -14 and a pensioner
would not get the allowance.
I suppose the balmy, sorry, colder weather you are having down
there is a novelty?
This over reaction was noted a few years back when some
colleagues had visited New York.
They had to return via London where they were grounded by a
dusting of snow, they could not go anywhere as the transport was
at a standstill. Eventually they go back to Stockholm where the
snow was lying about a metre deep and everything was flowing as
per normal.
Bill....